About VTU

My photo
Voyage to Utopia is an annual Fashion Show produced by Marymount University's African Caribbean Student Association (ACSA), Black Student Alliance (BSA), and Latino Student Association (LSA). It's aim is to showcase both the modern and traditional fashions of Caribbean, African, and Latino cultures. The production is 100% student led and provides a platform to introduce designers within the university community and surrounding areas. This years show will take the audience from their seats into colorful stories yet to be told through fashion. What's your story?

Monday, November 22, 2010

Interview with LaDorian Morris



LaDorian Morris is a Marymount University 2009 Alumni who majored in Fashion Design and minored in Business. Growing up in Queens, New York, she ventured to Arlington Virginia to study her passion. As a Marymount student LaDorian traveled to Italy in 2007.  After graduating from Marymount she applied to different companies relating to merchandising, fashion design and PR. Even thought she had an internship in school she felt as though she needed more experience. LaDorian interned with Bismark Phillips Communications and Media during 2010 Fashion Week, while beginning her adventure at RocaWear. Here’s her story. 

LaDorian's Dress on the Front Page of
Dollhouse Magazine
How has your past influenced your style? 
While growing up I was influenced by the old 80’s hip-hop style. Additionally, the current evolution in hip-hop has also influenced my style. One of my biggest influences are Rihanna. Both artists have a very edgy and unique style. They can both be elegant while having a very eclectic and high fashion look. 

While growing up I was influenced by my sisters who are about 13 years older than me. A lot of people say that I have a mature fashion sense. I considered gaining this mature style from my sisters. Since childhood they had a big influence my own personal style.

Are there any high fashion designers that influence you?
My favorite high fashion designers are John Galliano and Betsty Johnson. Both designers stay true to their own style no matter the current trends. Whenever you see garments from these designers you know that it is from them. They are also not afraid to be over the top while still being true to their own style.

How do other cultures influence your designs?
My designs are very influenced by many cultures. One of my favorite cultures is Japanese culture which is known for it Harajuku style. Its very fun, unique and inspiring. I am also influenced by Indian Culture and middle Eastern fashions. I love the fabrics, the beadings, and the bright colors. I love the movement of Saris and parachute pants. The prints and colors deriving from the African culture inspire me as well. I like different fashion trends that became popular based on what other cultures traditionally wear.

Does your company use other cultures to create designs as well?
RocaWear takes trips to Hong Kong and parts of Paris and Japan to look for influence for new fabric trends or denim from any other trends. They just don’t focus on what’s new in America, but RocaWaear is also influenced by fashion in other cultures. For a current collection we are using Native America Print with neutral and subdued colors. 

What did you do in Italy?
I studied Italian for 4 weeks and did and internship for 5 week afterwards. I interned for a company called Barone (bar-o-nay). Barone created and produced women’s, men’s, and children leather goods. In their Florence store while they had their private label they also sold other outsourced goods, while leather goods were their specialty. Barone’s outsourced clothing including denim and skirts and tops. At the internship I helped with pattern making and designing actual bags and jackets for men. I helped sell some of their goods at the yearly fair.

After returning from your trip to Italy, how did it change your designs?
While abroad, I had a great experience sewing a sample leather jacket in Italy for Barone. Because of that experience, I was inspired to do a menswear piece during my senior yr at Marymount. I decided to do a leather jacket. If I hadn’t gone to Italy to sew with leather goods, I wouldn’t have been inspired to do a leather garment. At one point I never thought I would be interested in menswear. And even today, I am doing menswear. I stared out as an intern at Rocawear, but after 5 months I am now an employee.   

Today LaDorian Morris has a fashion blog that show cases her work, and other work from artists in the Art, graphic design and fashion community. See her take on the world at www.ladorian.blogspot.com . She plans to have her garments in a couple of upcoming New York Fashion shows and continues to update her blog. The following images are handmade garments and graphics made by the talented fashionista. Thanks LaDorian for sharing your story!

Visit LaDorian's Blog at 
http://ladorian.blogspot.com/ 





5 comments:

  1. You go LaDorian, Tie Concepts is supporting you. Congratulations

    ReplyDelete
  2. OMGEE Dorian I love it!!!! Good promotion for me too!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great interview! Nice to see Marymount students get some shine!

    ReplyDelete