About VTU

My photo
Voyage to Utopia is an annual Fashion Show produced by Marymount University's African Caribbean Student Association (ACSA), Black Student Alliance (BSA), and Latino Student Association (LSA). It's aim is to showcase both the modern and traditional fashions of Caribbean, African, and Latino cultures. The production is 100% student led and provides a platform to introduce designers within the university community and surrounding areas. This years show will take the audience from their seats into colorful stories yet to be told through fashion. What's your story?

Saturday, November 27, 2010

Excuse me, you left your bullets

I recently returned from a trip to Israel/Palestine. That was intense to say the least. Between waiting hours between borders, interrogations, etc trust me when I say it was an adventure. But one moment I will not forget has to be when my friends and I were on a bus and I was sitting next to a soldier and his oversized machine gun. When his stop came he took his belongings and left the bus. Five seconds later he was running back to grab the bullets he left in the chair next to me. #EPICFAIL
Hence the topic of this post. 
Although the political scene there is one that we should all research and understand closely the fact that just about every teenager I saw had a machine gun, like some sort of accessory, made me think about the fashions here that depict some military inspiration.

Now, I'm not sure what it is that makes this look so popular. 
It could be anything from the use of natural down tones, to gold tassels and stout framework, or maybe the idea of an empowered look. 
Whichever the case I too have found myself mimicking the look of a soldier once or twice. And many designers are following suite.

Plus, its honestly a super easy look to put together!

No comments:

Post a Comment